Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Edible Wednesday: Russian Tea

So I start to get into my routine and then my dh takes the week off to spend with me which gets me off my routine. Today took a nice long walk so I can't complain - and I'm not (complaining), but I was hoping to get this up sooner today!!!

This is another one of those "for as long as I can remember"recipes. I can't say I remember the story behind "Russian Tea", but I remember looking in the jar and seeing the colors swirled around like colored sand. I remember the smell of the cloves mixed with the orange tang. For years I tried to find a tea packet that would give me the same taste, the same aroma, but I assure you, nothing was the same.

RUSSIAN TEA
1 cup instant tea (I prefer decaf)
2 cups Tang or other orange flavored instant drink mix
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 pkg (3 oz.) lemonade mix (my mom used to use Wyler’s brand)
1¼ - 1½ cups sugar

Mix all ingredients together and keep in tightly covered jar. Use approximately two heaping teaspoons per cup of almost-boiling water.

Variations: (never guaranteed to taste as good as the real thing but for anyone who has to cut back on sugar and such, it will still be a treat)
Use pre-sweetened tea and reduce the amount of sugar
Use sugar substitute and/or tea, Tang and lemonade mix sweetened with sugar substitute

I hope you'll give this a try and pass it on (via link). It really warms the soul....and makes your house smell amazing! Comment back here and let me know what you think!

Thanks! Kerry

0 comments :

Post a Comment