Monday, August 6, 2012

Personalize Your Back To School Notebooks - DCC Blog Hop

Who doesn't love back to school shopping? Everything is so cheap when you hit the right stores at the right time. One thing I love stocking up on is Composition notebooks, and I've created a fun and easy design to personalize your kids notebooks before heading back to class.

I have always loved weaving string around nails and making my own designs that are carefree and fun. Threading a needle and looping it through holes in a notebook, is just as easy and you'll want to make more than one.

Here's what you need:
  • Composition Notebooks
  • Felt colors of choice
  • Kreinik Threads
  • Strong Needle - Doll size is ideal
  • Sewing Awl
  • Scissors
  • Printed letters (or shape of choice - and free hand is good too)

Here's what you do:
  1. Carefully using your Awl - poke very shallow holes into the cover of the notebook. If you go too deep - you will poke through the pages too.
  2. Once you are done with the little holes, open the notebook and go through the cover a little deeper so the holes are large enough for the needle to pass through. 
  3. Then place the paper on top of the felt and use a pen or marker to mark the dots for the letters. 
  4. I meant to leave my felt piece intact to cover the whole book, but forgot and cut it out in the shape I was making. You can decide for yourself how you wish to do it. You can also put a different piece behind the letter or shape before weaving the thread - or you can do as I did and add pieces later to cover what you want. (If using lighter colors, I would definitely place an extra piece in the background to hide the glowing white box underneath!)
  5. Place a knot at the end of the thread and begin threading and weaving by placing your needle through the inside of the notebook cover to the outside. 
  6. There are no rules in this class....weave it how ever you want. Make it a plaid pattern, use more than one color, use only right angles or no right angles at all. Outline it or don't - the point is to have fun and make it personal.
This is a great project for homeschooling kids too. It can really help kids with their gross motor skills and creativity. You can purchase dull ended needles to prevent poking little fingers - but please use caution with them regardless.

Thank you Kreinik for providing me with some threads for this project. My girls are looking forward to making their own, and I'll be sure to post a pic of them here when they are done! I can't decide if my notebook is done. I think I may go and add more colors to the "K" and add some weaving to the pink areas too.

Have a great time making your own personalized composition notebooks and enjoy the rest of summer before heading back to class! Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to check out all the other back to school crafts throughout the hop by clicking below!





Although I was given free Kreinik thread product, the opinions set forth in this post, are my own. This tutorial is shared with you in the hopes that you will learn a new fun craft. Please do not use my tutorials for your own gain. Please do not use my photos without permission and please do not retake any photos to remake the tutorial for your own blog or another company. These photos and the text are copyright protected. If you'd like to "Pin" one of the photos, please credit me by using "#kidgiddy". Thank you for your cooperation.

6 comments:

Meggan Maravich said... [Reply]

Great idea! Love this!

Hydrangea Hippo - Jennifer Priest said... [Reply]

OMG this is so cute!Love the idea of using fabric!!!

Subriagirl said... [Reply]

Love your journal idea. Fun way to personalize a child's books!

creativegoddess said... [Reply]

Love the fabric and thread. :)

Melony said... [Reply]

very different and looks addictive

www.mel-designs.typepad.com

Anonymous said... [Reply]

thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

/>